Even as theatres across the country continue to remain shut down due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Tamil Film Active Producers Association has sent a letter to the Tamil Nadu Theatre Owners Association, headed by Tiruppur Subramaniam, with a list of demands that they want to be met if they are to allow them to screen new Tamil films in their theatres.
Saying that the changed circumstances in film distribution has affected them badly, the producers have laid out six demand…
1. We won’t bear the VPF (Virtual Print Fee) to QUBE/UFO, which we had been doing for the past 10 years.
2. The existing revenue share of 50, 40 and 30 for producers is very less, so it has to be changed based on the type of screen and the budget of the film.
3. Producers should be given a share from the revenue that comes through screening ads in theatres.
4. Exhibitors should give part of the revenue that comes from online ticket booking sites like BookMyShow and Ticket New.
5. Theatres should follow the holdover system and not change films every week.
6. We will not give our films to people who take over a number of screens in the name of Confirmation system as our freedom to do business gets restricted that way.
Noted producers like Bharathirajaa, TG Thyagarajan, Kalaipuli Thanu, Ishari Ganesh, SR Prabhu, Sashikanth, Gnanavel Raja and CV Kumar are among those who are signatories of this letter to the exhibitors.